Man Simply Cannot Make Moral What God Has Declared to Be Immoral

The Obergefell v. Hodges case was fascinating (and tedious) to read.  I'm not afraid to admit that I had to look up quite a few words along the way.  There were some beautiful words spoken about the history and union of marriage, and there were some touching, even heart-wrenching stories presented regarding the same-sex couples seeking equal rights and recognition to which couples of the opposite sex are entitled.  The story shared about Michigan couple, nurses April DeBoer and Jayne Rowse, who adopted children with special needs but were only able to do so as single individuals (due to Michigan laws) thus giving each child only one legal parent and living with the uncertainty of their unmarried status was difficult to read, as were others.
It's hard to argue these cases when the love between these couples is (or appears to be) sincere.  If I did not value or cling to my Biblical or religious beliefs, I might be convinced that denying these couples the same rights as heterosexual couples does infringe upon their constitutional rights.  However, my position is a simple and direct one.  I follow God's word, "whether by [His] voice of by the voice of [His] servants, it is the same" (D&C 1:38).

President Russell M. Nelson, in his beautiful BYU speech entitled, "Disciples of Jesus Christ-Defenders of Marriage," shares the Apostle Paul's words that, "...all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution," adding to that, "as disciples, each of us will be put to the test.  At any hour of any day we have the privilege of choosing between right and wrong.  This is an age-old battle that started in a premortal realm.  And that battle is becoming more intense every day.  Your individual strength of character is needed now more than ever before."

President Nelson goes on to remind us that God ordained marriage as a union between a man and woman, not human judges or legislators, lobbyists, "popular vote or oft-quoted bloggers."  GOD!  Period.  And the social and political pressures we are facing to change this sacred union directly opposes God's will.  It redefines the eternal nature and purposes of marriage!  "Man simply cannot make moral what God has declared to be immoral.  Sin, even if legalized by man, is still sin in the eyes of God."

There are aspects of the Gospel that confuse/bother me; aspects I don't fully understand.  However, when I listen to our Church leaders with an open heart, desiring to see things with eternal eyes, I am without a doubt reassured that despite my lack of understanding, I can move forward with faith, confidence and a determination to follow God's laws.  Even in the midst of feeling misunderstood or criticized for maintaining the same beliefs I always have, I can turn to this same God for peace.

Comments

  1. Valeri, the court did seem very convincing. Their opinion went right along with many of the things I have heard a lot lately, however, as some of the dissenting judges pointed out, their arguments lacked genuine logic or validity. They relied heavily on ethos – emotional reactions and appeals. The facts and precedents to back their reasoning and appeals were faulty. Four of 9 Supreme Court judges claim the logic and facts are faulty and dissent to tell America how and why.

    I was quite surprised to learn many of the precedents that were taken into consideration by those that study and understand these concepts much better than I do. I appreciated hearing their dissents.

    The dissents were each powerful in their own right. Combined the dissents seem absolutely formidable. I am grateful these judges shared their ideas and insights as well as their 'feelings.' I now feel an obligation to do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment